Friday 17 January 2014

Today I did my first c25k workout!

The social activity got out of control yesterday leaving me too exhausted to cook. I asked Jason to get pizza for the kids on the way home, but we decided that would be too expensive. So I asked him to get some ham so I could make the kids some wholegrain wrap based pizzas. They are crisp with fresh produce on the top and are quick to prepare.

But Jason spotted some sausages on sale. He came home with 24 of them, and a bunch of other stuff he saw on sale. Frankly I didn't care. I was that wiped out. About the 3rd time in our marriage Jason cooked dinner. Admittedly it was sausages on bread with onions and mushrooms.

The sheer amount of fat that the onions were sitting in because they came off the sausages was disgusting. Add to that they are a who knows what processed meat in an artificial skin. I wouldn't do it. So I cracked open a tin of baked beans and ate it on toast. Ahhhh a true fast, nutritious cheap food.

Tomorrow night my in-laws are having an "All-in-one party" which is celebrating Margi and Nicoles birthdays, Nicole getting into uni, and Jason's parents 29th year wedding anniversary. Soooo you can already imagine how much cake there is going to be, and how there is no polite way out of the party. Face it, its time for me to relearn how I do parties lol.


Seeing as Dreamworld is 25 mins away from my in-laws place, we decided we would go there on the way. So after I dropped off Kai and Asha, I bought a few top up items from the produce store. I got some banana bread from the bakery so that we could have that along with fruit tomorrow at Dreamworld.



But I was wondering what to do for dinner, at a party, when the food would have to sit in a hot car for 6 hours. Then it occurred to me. Leek, cauliflower and broccoli soup! I could freeze it tonight, wrap it up in a thermal bag with an ice pack and it would be more than fine for dinner :)

So you slice a leek lengthwise several times so that you can hold it all together when you cut it.


Chop up some broccoli and cauliflower.







Throw it in a pot and add a bit of hot water. Add in some powdered vegetable stock. Then cut up some broccoli and cawliflower. Add more water to simmer. The amount of water I used made the soup a bit runnier than I like so next time I will use less. 





As I didn't need to use oil in the beginning there wasn't any fat in the ingredients. So I ground up a few cashews to add some fat. That helps my body absorb the fat soluble vitamins in my soup. Don't boil it too long as it cooks fairly quickly (about 5 mins), and if you boil cauliflower and broccoli too long you lose some precious nutrients.

To finish I got the bar mix and whizzed it smooth.  Broccoli and Cauliflower are both cruciferous vegetables which offer strong anticancer protection. Here is a short video which explains the awesome power of broccoli. (I really recommend you take the 3 mins it takes to watch it :)          

                                                                                                                           It was so yummy that I kept eating it. I had to make sure I saved some for tomorow. If you were to take the time to calculate calories, you would find its rather low and very high in nutrition. And yummy too so an absolute winner of a recipe. 

I walked today as I knew I wouldn't be able to go on Saturday. I also did my first official Couch to 5k walk jog today. This is the app I am using. It wasn't too bad. Its interesting to walk to an app as before I was only jogging on the flat, but this time I jogged when it said which was sometimes up or down a bit of a hill. I did pause it once as it wanted me start jogging half way up a hill, and another time when I had to wait for my kids to catch up with me.

So Jason comes home with two big packets of chips that he had gotten from work and holds them up proudly. Chips are a weakness of mine, so it's not a good idea to have them in the house. They are going to a party tomorrow, (that wasn't the party food I had in mind to contribute!). The thing that gets me is that he couldn't see how buying sausages, chocolate croissants (which were on special), or bringing home packets of chips wasn't supportive!

It actually crossed my mind to eat a packet to "show him". Obviously that wouldn't work. I am no where near the point where people actually take you seriously. He has NO IDEA of the changes that have gone on in my mindset. He completely expects me to fail, infact everyone does.

I ate a healthy dinner and filled up on a fruit plate. Then I blogged about it. Frankly I would rather spend my time talking to someone who believes in me. That's the best thing about a blog. Your friends will quickly get bored of fitness talk, but your blog actually benefits from you talking about it lol.






No comments:

Post a Comment